Sunday, April 01, 2007

I Passed NAATI!!!...澳洲國家翻譯考試通過!!!...ナーテイー国家翻訳試験合格した!!!

I PASSED NAATI!!!!! Yeeeeaahhh....I just found out yesterday. NAATI stands for the 'National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters.' It is the National body which sets the exams and assessments for official accreditation as a translator or interpreter in Australia. In oz, you can only be a translator or interpreter if you've passed the exam set by NAATI which is very very difficult to pass and most people fail...i failed once before and attended a course in translation and finally i passed this time round....
I'm now officially a translator from Chinese (both traditional and simplified) into English!! This means i can accept translation jobs as part-time work to earn extra income....besides my daytime law work....so thats great n i'm super happy:)

Attending the short course on translation from Chinese to English was really useful in terms of translation technique as u learn how to break up a sentence and usual ways of translating specific terms and words...knowing 2 languages and knowing how to translate from one lang. to another lang. is really 2 separate things!! This was something i simply did not pay attention to on my 1st try at the exam...which is why i didn't even prepare for it and didn't bring a dictionary in too..

So now, if anyone has any translation assignments from Chinese to English, don't forget to give it to me...i'll charge cheap for my blog readers...hehe:) Moreover, I even get my own personal translator's stamp and ID card...its quite professional in Aust. unlike in many other countries where there is no official exam or body for translators.

On another note, i'm currently addicted to a Korean drama called ' Famous Princesses'...its like this family drama which runs for over 30 episodes...dealing with 4 sisters and their family and love lives...it is like so super good and i can't seem to stop watching! I'll like watch 3-4 episodes a night which means 3-4 hrs...highly recommended...the Korean name is 'The Legendary 7 Princesses'....And i'm currently also watching a Chinese drama by Anita Yuen and Jordan Chan which i really like too (more on that in another post!) and another Korean drama called 'Older Sister' (Nuna in Korean if i'm correct!)by Son Yun-Ah....the guy in here is soooooooo handsome, even straight guys would think so..he's in 'Glass Picture' with Kim Haneul and was with Song Hyegyo in 'Full House'. Dun really know his name but i think it is Kim Sungsu....
back to watching my dramas now...haha...

Interesting Quotes from Chinese n Korean Dramas currently watching:

恨 是 插 在 心 頭 上 的 一 把 刀 ﹐ 傷 了 自 己 卻 沒 有 傷 到 別 人 = Hatred is like a knife cut into the heart. It only harms oneself but leaves the other person unharmed.

人 可 以 令 人 中 毒 。 簡 單 的 說 ﹐ 這 就 叫 作 愛 情 = Human beings can cause other human beings to become poisoned. Simply put, this is called 'Love'.

27 comments:

Philosophical Anarchist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
hcpen said...

hari deepak: Pls read my posts carefully and don't ask me irrelevant questions....Further, I'm NOT Mrs.Pen....you have obviously not read my intro carefully...first calling me madame then mrs now??

Philosophical Anarchist said...

sorry if i offended you in any way..anyway your name in the profile was hcpen??? so i was confused...also it was very impolite of me to ask you about some questions i had in my mind...sorry and take care..i won't bother you again......

Anonymous said...

COngrats dude. Happy to hear tht u r doing well. Do keep in touch. Who am I? The guy who keeps sending u blank SMS:P

hcpen said...

hari deepak:
well...wouldn't you assume that i am single given that i'm only 23 and only started working?
Further, i am not from China so its VERY annoying when you keep asking questions on China....if u read carefully my posts then you are very welcome to continue commenting here:)
PS: where r u from hari deepak?? also what is ur occupation?

Anon: Thanks for your wishes:)

Lifebook said...

Congratulation!! :)

hcpen said...

lifebook: Thanks lifebook:)

Anonymous said...

Hi there~

Saw your blog by accident while searching for info on NAATI. I'm 26, originally from Taiwan, currently finishing up PhD in science at Uni Melb. I'm interested in becoming a technical translator/interpretor. Was hoping you can share with me more info on the course you did and where you did it? It'll be fanstastic to hear more of what you went through to pass your test. Hope to hear from you soon! Congrats! :)

hcpen said...

Cub: Good to hear from a fellow Taiwanese. Well i attended this short course which cost around $900 for 21 hrs...quiteexpensive. It teaches you techniques for translating which is pretty useful and i did a one on one with a teacher whereby i would practise sample passages which are similar in style to the NAATI real exam passages. Practising the sample passages which i did alot with the teacher (whom is also NAATI qualified) correcting my mistakes proved extremely useful. anyways, if u wanna know more, u can provide me with ur email address ad i'll let u know more tips,etc...by the way, which level are u intending to sit for? level 3, 4 or 5?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your response! :) Not too sure which exam I wanna sit yet, I'm not sure whether I can sit the more advanced ones without having sit the more basic ones?! Still gotta understand more about how it all work.

It'll be fantastic if you can give me more info on your experiences and how you're intending to look for jobs now.

I think most likely I'll probably get a NAATI qualified teacher to do some one to one sessions with me then sit the exams. Does that sound like a good idea to you? How did you find your teacher and is he/she based in Melbourne? How much did it cost per hour??

Hope to hear more from you soon :) My email is cubboo@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

find your blog pretty boring

hcpen said...

shopgirl: er....don't read it then.

Anonymous said...

I find your blog pretty interesting, but it's getting to be a long wait between posts.

hcpen said...

marcelproust:thanks;thanks!! Been feeling lazy n unmotivated recently to update..heheh

Anonymous said...

congrats on passing the translation test. any chance i can get in touch with u directly?

J

Anonymous said...

hi there... my comments were removed? why? all i asked was how to contact u directly...

hcpen said...

Anon: I didn't remove your comments...its still there..u congratulated me on my passing my test...its still there..thanks..
yeah sure u can contact me directly, just leave ur email here and i will email you...if u don't want others to see ur email just let me know and i'll delete ur email after saving it. Hope to hear from u soon!!

Anonymous said...

i like your blog chic.. keep it up..ahmm how long hav u been in australia?

hcpen said...

mykiru: I've been in Australia for more than 5 yrs now...thanks for dropping by:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
hcpen said...

anon: I can only delete the whole comment as i don't know how to edit comments (not sure if its possible)....anyway,I sent you an email already to the address you gave me...hope you reply soon:)

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I'm doing the NAATI test soon. Wondering if you could give me some advice. My email address is chujenny84@hotmail.com

hcpen said...

Anon: Yep, sure...i've emailed you already.

Anonymous said...

Hi, there. I happned to read your blog, it is great. I am thinking to take NAATI test, can you please give me some tips. One of the online course cost 1150 for about 24 hours, how do you think? my email is: tianyu.hei@gmail.com look forward to your email. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi there. Congratulations on your NAATI test. I took it around the same time as you did. But mine was quite unfortunate. I flunked in both the E-C and C-E tests. I got somewhat like 61 (excluding the score for code of ethics) in my E-C but a mere 58 in the other(my expectations was quite the opposite.)

I was wondering if you could kindly help me with the tips on how to pass the E-C exam. This is my email address: therehello_xyz@hotmail.com. Thanks very much.

hcpen said...

oppanon: I've replied both ur emails.

Chinese NAATI translator said...

The primary purpose of NAATI is to meet the diverse communication needs and changing expectations, so as to bring everyone closer.