Saturday, October 10, 2009

Fifties Fairs....in Sydney 2009!!!....五十年代嘉年华会在雪梨.....五十年代の祭りシドニーで..

Above: A touch of 50's class...

When i chanced upon the advertising leaflet promoting the 15th Annual 'Fifties Fair' in Sydney, I knew I just had to go!!!! Given that I am a 50s/60s fan of the cheongsam and that era, how could I miss it! What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon mixing amidst the crowd of 50s inspired and dressed ppl and pretending that I had been transported bck to the 1950s. Of cos, for Chinese representation, I wore my cheongsam top there..heheh..

I was very surprised to see the huge crowds there as the location is in Turrumurra which is really far north away from the city and inner suburbs, on the outer edges of Sydney already and tics cost $20 per adult and $55 per family which was quite costly, especially in a global financial crisis and with this being such a niche event, frankly i was expecting not many ppl to turn up..but boy was I wrong!! There were throngs of ppl and even queues to enter the fair! Cos it's held at this 40's built heritage house and enclosed garden estate and not very big...there were many ppl in 50's inspired fashion parading about and a 50s fashion contest as well as 50s style music and dance presentations ( i enjoyed the dance presentations alot!!!) and lots of stalls set up selling 50s/60s collectible items and fashion such as magazines, dresses, ties, shirts, 50s floral prints, etc..

Anyways, let the photos do the talking!

Above and Below: At the Bus Stop waiting for the shuttle bus to ferry us to the Fifties Fair..
Above: Entrance to the Sydney 15th Annual Fifties Fair 2009...





Above and Below: 60's Style...I was tempted to buy the 50/60s printed cloth cos what better way to make a cheongsam-inspired creation than with original 50s cloth material????







Above: Women getting their '50s makeover' at the booth...

Above: Lil' red riding hood with her cellphone..hahaha..

Above: Girls digging into their ice-creams on a warm Winter afternoon in their fifties outfits...

Above: Stalls selling 50's stuff...


Above: A sign of the times...guess whom won the 'Best 50s Couple' category..yep, the two ladies in the above photo..hehe..whether they're a real lesbian couple or not, it definitely goes to show a sign of the times, when a same-sex couple can beat the other straight couples to win a best couple contest..hehe..


Above: 50s Fashion Competition Parade..

10 comments:

Bkkdreamer said...

Turramurra, on the outer edges of Sydney? Long-term residents of the city would probably beg to differ, as there are plenty of places further north.

Sydney's huge, and it doesn't stop at Turramurra, or anywhere near it.

hcpen said...

Bkkdreamer: hmm,I disagree, it doesn't really have much to do with how long you stay in a city as to your perception and where you normally hang out in a city. So for me, turramurra is definitely the outer edges. In fact, i'd say ask most sydneysiders and they'd agree it's already in the outer suburbs of sydney. To say it isn't anywhere near the edges is silly cos besides hornsby up north, it's the national park.

aimlesswanderer said...

I'd have to agree, Turramurra isn't exactly an "outer suburb". It is further away than Crows nest, but that isn't saying much. And there are suburbs north of Hornsby anyway.

Penrith is a long way from the city, but Turramurra? I'd say not. I have relos who live around there who would be amused to hear that they live on the "outskirts" of Sydney!

Bkkdreamer said...

Hcpen: 'Oh, Sydney ends in Turramurra, because I have never been anywhere further north.'

Nonsense. Try consulting a map.

For some, Barrenjoey lighthouse (if you want a landmark) is the furthest point north of the Sydney metro area. For others, it is Pittwater, or Broken Bay.

Those of us who know Sydney might have even been to these places...but our experience doesn't count, apparently, because it's all about the 'feeling' and 'perception'.

hcpen said...

aimlesswanderer: well, i think it is the outskirts..maybe it's just a difference in perceptions:-)Saying Ashfield/Burwood was the outskirts would definitely be hilarious though!

hcpen said...

Bkkdreamer: First off, please do not come spout nonsense and being rude in OTHER people's blogs. This is MY blog so i can say what i want. Secondly, since that email exchange YEARS ago where you were not only racist and patronising to the extreme, and then decided to 'pretend' to be nice and emailed me bck (after telling me you were glad not to have any further correspondences with me, hypocritical) that you added my blog link bck on ur blog, u deleted it again a mere mths later (insincere)..and now you have the audacity to come over to MY blog and criticise over one single line i wrote out of the hundreds of words my post is devoted to? Which is the Sydney Fifties Fair, but instead of being relevant, you decided to comment negatively on entirely irrelevant aspect, being patronising (i suspect you suffer from acute inferiority complex towards me and also a sign of aging) and telling me, THE LONG-TERM RESIDENT of Sydney about how well you know Sydney when you don't live in Sydney, and have left YEARS ago...talk about having the nerves..you're NOT in a position to discuss this with me as i obviously am the one whom knows sydney better being virtue of having lived here for the recent years while you haven't. Furthermore, please do not comment on my blog anymore, you're not welcome. I've never met someone where i've had to say to their face they're not welcome on my blog, but i guess u'd be honoured since u're the first one. Something to feed your inferior ego.
Please do not respond or leave any more comments on my blog as they'll be deleted in the future.
You obviously do not understand English or have regressed in your english capabilities living for so long in Thailand to understand what i meant about 'feelings' and 'perceptions' so i won't blame you given your age and socio-economic status.
Adhere to your own words of not wanting to have anything to do with me and do not come commenting/emailing me.
You've been warned Mr.inferiority Complex.

Superman said...

I guess many try to turn back time because of 'good old times'. :)

hcpen said...

Superman: Thanks for your comments Superman! I think many of us whom also went didn't live through the 50s before, but just wanna experience, like you said, the 'good ole times'..haha:-)

Anonymous said...

This is so very interesting. Would be a walk down Memory Lane for me...if I were there.

hcpen said...

suituapui: Yeah! It was v.interesting, like walking right onto a film set in nostalgia lane:)